MA-Series: Mechanically-Agitated BioReactor Systems
- Mechanically Agitated (MA) systems are the most common and universal type of bioreactors available today. Our MA bioreactor is distinguished from other systems in terms of construction and design. Our modular design, PLC control system, and use of industry-standard materials & components result in durability, simple installation, straightforward use, and uncomplicated maintenance.
- To meet a wide range of requirements, we carry a complete line of MA bioreactors that include sizes ranging from 5L bench-top scale to greater than plant-production scale of 50,000L; and for a diversity of applications such as microbial, plant, insect, animal, and human cells, and for both adherent & suspension cell cultures. We also welcome the opportunity to partner with you in designing a completely customized MA system.
- Our MA system for microbial culture (010/100/200/300/400) and cell culture (015/150/250/350/450) are very similar. The entire vessel configuration and control system are identical except for the impeller type (microbial: Rushton impellers; cell culture: Pitched blade or Marine impeller), baffle (microbial: detachable baffle; cell culture: none) and gassing (microbial: 1 or 2 gasses, cell culture: 4 gasses) . It is therefore very easy to convert our system from cell to microbial culture system in particular by simply change the impeller and baffle in the vessel. However it requires factory modification for the gassing system to convert from microbial to cell culture system.
- For maximum versatility , MA 150c/250c/350c/450c are available for both cultures use and for all batch, fed-batch and perfusion culture processes. The system is the same as MA150/250/350/450 but include heating/cooling jacket vessel, both impeller types , a detachable baffle system, an external recirculation pump and a jacketed packed bed column.
- For additional versatility, stainless steel jacketed vessels are available for individual sale (sizes: 1L, 4L, 7L and 14L) using the same control console.
- MA100/150 systems can be used as a single use mechanically agitated bioreactor with single use vessels such as Distek's BIOne single use vessels (but only up to 10L) and Eppendorf's single use vessels (up to 40L).
- Our MA systems can also easily be adopted for perfusion or continuous culture by simple modifications to be used as a Perfusion/Fixed Bed bioreactor (see more).
Customer Testimonial: "BioReactor Sciences' MA100 represents an excellent option for bench-scale bioreactor systems when ease-of-entry and fast batch turnaround times are required. With its Program and Setup features, industrial standard components, process automation and tune-ability, routine cultures are stable, robust and relatively trouble-free compared to similarly or higher priced glass/stainless systems. The MA100 is an excellent choice for those looking for an easy to use and dependable platform for small-to-medium microbial fermentation." - Kevin, Genesis Biosciences Fermentation Specialist.
Our MA bioreactor systems are made-to-order and can be customized to best fit your application.
- Industrial grade microprocessor
- Clearly presented graphic user interface with HMI color touch panel and easy parameter adjustment
- Trend display of up to 8 process values with variable display cycles for quick overview
- Specially configured gassing systems for microbial and cell culture
- Control of agitator speed, pH, DO, temperature, foam, filling level, substrate addition, gas mixture and gas volume (optional with mass flow controller)
- Agitation system directly driven by detachable AC servo motor
- Programmable setpoint change of all controllable parameters including pH, temperature, DO, feeding rates etc during the entire culturing process.
- Battery-protected memory storage for vital parameters
- Automated pH/DO calibration
- Gas mixing: N2/O2/CO2/Air mixture (for cell culture); Air (for microbial culture or optional with Air/O2 ) with rotameter and ON/OFF control valve (std)
- Four peristaltic pumps for each vessel: programmable for acid /base addition, defoaming, and/or feeding. Two additional pump outlets for external feeding option.
- Communication protocol: two way RS485 and Ethernet interface for remote monitoring, control, and interface between user's computer in the lab, office or home and control console for data logging & remote operation
- MA 100/150: Autoclave sterilization or (optional) semi-automatic steam sterilization in place using a S/S cylindrical cover sealed to the S/S jacketed base; >MA 200/250 sterilized in place.
- Mass flow and controller for gas control (optional)
- Redox potential measurement (optional)
- Turbidity measurement for optical density (optional)
- Load cell (optional) for nutrient feed
- Spray ball for manual cleaning or CIP [Clean-In-Place] (optional)
- One rotameter for air (std for microbial culture); one additional rotameter and controller for enriched O2 if MFC is not used (optional). Four rotameters and controller for 4 gases (std for cell culture) if mass flow controller is not used.
- Microbial, plant, insect, and mammalian cells in batch, fed-batch, or continuous culture
- Process development and manufacturing of vaccines, recombinant proteins, and monoclonal antibody production
- Adherent cell culture with micro-carriers
MA-010/015 Mechanically-Agitated Bioreactor
- Six independent 1L mechanically agitated bioreactors on one common stainless steel (S/S) bench sharing one 12" HMI color screen.
- MA-010: microbial culture; MA-015: cell culture.
- Bench top: vessel size (Total volume: 1L ) working volume is approximately 40-80% of total volume depending on operating conditions and internal configuration.
- Vessel: glass with heating/cooling S/S jacketed bottom (std).
- Agitation speed: 0-1500/0-1000/0-600 rpm (impeller ratio: 1/2) for MA-010; 0-100/0-200 rpm for MA- 015
- Head plate: multiple sampling/feeding ports, 12mm ports for pH/DO probes, 8mm port for temperature probe; equipped with high efficient air condenser; handles on each side of the head plate for easy transportation; mounted with agitation unit.
- Dimensions (cm): 80W x 40H x 40D (MA010/015)
- Dry weight: 70 Kg (approximate - control console only)
MA-100/150 Mechanically-Agitated Bioreactor
MA-200 and 250 Mechanically-Agitated Bioreactors
MA-300 and 350 Mechanically-Agitated Bioreactors
MA-400 and 450 Mechanically-Agitated Bioreactors